Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy 2010 New Year, New Beginnings, New Tips


What an amazing year is awaiting us. New year brings its new beginnings, new hopes, new goals.


In the past (long time ago, I assure you), I used to get so discouraged and fearful with every new year; as I welcomed it with hopes that were so low, I could step on them. Here's a few to make you laugh:
Maybe (always good to have a goal starts with maybe, to show how committed I am to accomplishing) this will be the year I will lose that (10, 20, 30...lbs) extra weight, will start exercising, will take better care of myself, will eat better, be kind, be good, be thoughtful (replace the adjective of choice)... On and on the list went, but the list came with a mandatory second attachment : "I probably won't". So as the self fulfilling prophecies go, I really did accomplish the second part "I probably won't" over and over again year after year. I was truly consistent. I did not lose a single pound, actually gained more, got more in debt, ate like a pig, ("exercise?" what's that?) I could not even spell the word without breaking into a sweat...


That all changed, when I decided one day " To Thine Ownself Be True". As I realized I was not honest with myself . I made excuses, covered up for myself, convinced myself worse was better for the moment. If I was my friend, I would have stopped being friends long ago. So, I made a promise to "try to be good to myself". Which meant that I loved myself enough to take better care of myself, my life and in turn be good to others.


Self love is like orange juice inside an orange (yes it sounds strange, but hear me out). When you squeeze an orange, you expect orange juice to come out. But if the orange is all dried out, you know however much you squeeze you won't get one drop out... So, if I did not have love, respect, and appreciation of myself, how could I give and extend these values to others around me. This started my quest for searching, reading, praying and meditating to find better ways for everything in life and for me... And what an awesome, challenging but inspiring journey it has been and it is continuing to be...It brought so many great experiences, wisdom, joy, peace, prosperity, love, great people into my life and continues to do so...


Since the journey has been ongoing for the last 5 years, and will go on forever, I will share little nuggets of it daily, rather than in one post... One of the biggest starting steps besides learning to love yourself, is to give yourself the gift of hope... Here's how:


-Close your eyes, and think how peaceful, happy, and healthy your life and you could be, if you knew there is nothing to fear


-Then, keep that image in your mind, see yourself happy, healthy, prosperous, joyful, at peace


-Write down, how and where you see yourself next year, in 10 years, in 20 years... Write down, your wishes it may seem absurd, but trust me... It works... It may be winning to lottery or moving to France or finding your ideal spouse, or getting along with your family... Write it down to your heart's content. There is no right or wrong length, or content. Keep writing.


-Then fold the paper, and put it under your pillow. Sleep on it. Next day put in your wallet, and carry it with you. Whenever you need a bit of hope, pull it out and read it through. And best part is: when you see the list of wishes coming through, write " already accomplished" and keep it to remind you, what your faith, your belief and your vision had brought you.


I leave you with one of my favorite Irish blessings today:


May God be with you and bless you. May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortunes and rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happinessfrom this day forward.

May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

No comments: