Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to school, & work simple, delicious dinner



Today was the first day back at work for me, and back to school for my son. Getting up at 5:30am looking outside and seeing that it is pitch black made me want to go back to bed which I immediately did and finally it took all the will power in me to get me up. Ok, I am up.

In the past I used to run around like a chicken with its head cut off to figure out what to wear, it usually went like this every morning:

A) Look in the closet, try an outfit; hate my image in mirror & be horrified at how I allowed that chocolate cake to seduce me last night. Try another, then another outfit to settle with something black and baggy

B) Look in the closet, hesitate on choice, make a cup of tea to collect self & thoughts. Come back choose something black and baggy

C) Look in the closet, grab the black and baggy outfit and sigh seeing all the other outfits waiting for me to return to them... one day.

However, now I would like to say to you, I am well organized in the mornings and fit to wear anything. But I would be lying, instead I do this whole hesitation, outfit debacle at night. So it is ready for me to wear in the morning and I do not get all flustered at 5:42am over an outfit.

Simple Tip: Pick your outfit the night before and lay it out (yes even the socks)...

Tonight, after work I wanted to cook something fast, & simple but of course delicious. I found the "Carrot Rice" at All recipes and altered it. Also made "Oven baked barbecue chicken". It took less than 30 min (prep & cook time)... Perfect work night dinner...

Carrot Rice (very healthy)

Ingredients:
1 cup basmati (or brown) rice
2 cups water (or stock)
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
3/4 cup grated carrots

1/4 teaspoon orange zest (you can omit)
1 chicken bouillion (or any stock)
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Combine rice, chicken bouillon and water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to steam until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. While rice is cooking,chop nuts in and set aside. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions until golden brown. Stir in ginger, carrots, and salt to taste. Reduce heat to low and cover to steam 5 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper and peanuts. When rice is done, add it to skillet and stir gently to combine with other ingredients. Garnish with chopped cilantro/parsley if you would like.


Oven Baked Chicken

Ingredients
2 lbs of chicken legs or thighs or breast
Low calorie barbecue sauce
Jalapeno slices

Directions
1. Mix all ingredients in a ziploc bag and refrigerate for an hour (or the night before)
2. Bring oven to broil low; line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (so you won't have to clean up mess after cooking)
3. Place chicken on the tray, broil about 8 min each side. Check that it is cooked through.

Serve with Carrot Rice on a beautiful plate... Enjoy...

Another day is over, and house looks so pretty with all the lights on the tree... I have so much to be thankful for and another day for me to share another blessing...



And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.














No comments: