Monday, January 11, 2010

Snows of Love

It is white outside, everything is covered in pure sugary, white snow. It has been beckoning me to go play outside and build snow castles, polar bears and army of snowmen. I however, curbed that temptation and continued to work.

When I was little in a faraway land, I waited snow with excitement. All the children would be pouring out on the streets with any piece of cardboard, plastic bag to make his or her own sled. Snowboards were not heard of, neither were snowpants... So this was "the beginning of Simple Tips for Life"... But what fun... Walking in the snow, sticking my tongue out to catch the flakes and sledding down the little hills surrounding our apartment building; it was almost another world away...

I can teach you how to use a cardboard as a sled but that would not be necessary in the US, as any Chinese made sled is under $10. Since my economics professor mentioned that your cost of time should be less than the cost of the item you are making... in that case, head to your nearest Target to pick one up... Sled that is, not the economics professor.  Also, I can teach you how to make a snowman, but I think that comes naturally with the first flake of snow to every kid...

I however wanted to mention the play "Yankee Tavern" that is at our local theatre. What fun, and a fun night to share with my wonderful son, his grandma and dad. Not to mention the delicious Brewery Fish Fry (you by order have to be from Midwest to understand that word "fishfry"). I hope you can remember it, if it is around in the future, check it out again...

I read somewhere that "a grateful heart is a happy heart". Somedays, if may feel difficult to feel grateful or happy; I should know... I could complain about anything and everything.  Then, I started reading about other people whose lives were so much more difficult and challenging. Yet they kept a happy spirit, and they forgave and they journaled!

Keeping all those small & big blessings written may make it easier. So today I want to encourage you to pick a beautiful notebook, and start writing the blessings in your life. It could be from the past memories, or present; it could be as small as a cup of coffee that tasted so delicious to a free upgrade while traveling. It could be a simple saying you saw that spoke to your heart. Or a gorgeous sight that took your breath away. What a lovely way to transform a perceived mundane tasks into opportunities to give thanks and smile.

"Never think that God's delays are God's denials. Hold on, Hold fast, Hold out. Patience is genius."
 Comte Georges Louis Leclerc de Buffon

Till next time... with love, laughter and hugs for now and always

No comments: